As a solopreneur or small enterprise proprietor within the well being and wellness business, checking off every day’s seemingly countless duties—from lead technology to consumer onboarding to precise teaching to invoicing—is difficult sufficient; with the restricted time you’ve got, creating (or fine-tuning current) techniques and processes is probably going on the backside of your precedence listing.
And moreover, aren’t techniques and processes extra suited to large-scale corporations (suppose: Google, McDonald’s, Amazon) with 1000’s or hundreds of thousands of staff? Reply: No.
Methods and processes are useful to all companies, regardless of their dimension.
Performed proper, they may enable you step away from the effort of day-to-day menial duties to give attention to high-value actions that’ll quickly scale your corporation and income.
On this article, be taught what techniques and processes are, the precise advantages they might convey to your well being and wellness enterprise, and, most significantly, how, precisely, it is best to go about constructing—and implementing—efficient, environment friendly techniques and processes.
What Are “Methods and Processes”?
Whereas techniques and processes are sometimes used interchangeably, they’re distinct ideas. To elaborate: A system is a set of processes, instruments, folks, and methods that work collectively to unravel an issue or obtain a enterprise aim.
Take, as an example, your electronic mail advertising. Your system could appear to be this:
- Processes: Develop a content material calendar, draft emails, and create automated gross sales funnels.
- Instruments: A content material calendar platform (e.g., Trello, CoSchedule, or Asana), phrase processor (e.g., Microsoft Phrase 365, Google Docs, or Apple Pages), electronic mail advertising service (e.g., ConvertKit, Drip, or Mailchimp)
- Folks: You (in case you’re a solopreneur)
- Methods: Your focus is on brief, scannable electronic mail content material to catch the reader’s consideration, so your key messages get learn and remembered.
However, processes check with all of the steps you’re taking to finish a process. For instance, listed below are the steps you could take to develop an electronic mail content material calendar:
- Analysis trending business subjects.
- Assessment generally requested questions from shoppers.
- Record eight electronic mail subjects.
- Plug them into your content material calendar platform, together with their publishing dates.
Backside line? Any time you’ve got a specific approach of doing issues in your corporation (e.g., consumer outreach), that, in itself, is a system. And likelihood is, you most likely have already got plenty of techniques arrange and operating in your corporation—with out even realizing it.
Advantages of Methods and Processes for Companies (When Performed Proper)
However this is the factor: Not all techniques and processes assist your corporation.
Extra particularly, some techniques could also be pointless, counterproductive, overly costly, or too time-consuming—in the end which means you find yourself doing extra however with much less to indicate for it. Consequently, you can finally end up burned out, overwhelmed, and exhausted.
Examine that to efficient, environment friendly techniques that break down duties into documented, repeatable, step-by-step processes that enable you:
- Enhance productiveness: With every little thing laid out, you don’t need to reinvent the wheel each time you want one thing achieved, serving to you do extra in much less time.
- Ship a constant expertise: Say goodbye to forgetting about scheduling check-in classes with shoppers or gathering fee. Effectively-documented techniques and processes will let you create constant experiences for all potential and current shoppers, driving consumer loyalty.
- Scale your corporation: There may be usually a direct correlation between the variety of efficient, environment friendly techniques operating in your corporation to the period of time you must spend on creating new services and products that cater to totally different buyer segments (e.g., branching into on-line private coaching as a Licensed Private Coach), so that you improve your income.
- Decrease labor prices: Prepared to begin hiring (or already operating a crew)? Effectively-documented techniques and processes assist even new staff hit the bottom operating as they’ve a set, unambiguous approach of doing issues. This implies you’ll spend much less time (and cash) coaching new staff, supervising their work, and requesting edits.
Methods to Create Methods and Processes That Work
To reiterate: When the fitting techniques are in place, you’ll enhance productiveness, cut back stress, be higher in a position to give attention to revenue-generating work, and improve revenue margins.
Now, the one query is: How precisely do you go about constructing probably the most streamlined, environment friendly, and efficient techniques and processes based mostly on your corporation targets? There are 4 steps to it.
#1: Doc All the things You Do
Step one is to doc all of the actions you do to run your corporation.
This might embrace duties you do often (e.g., happening consumer discovery calls, publishing weblog posts, sending out invoices) or a single exercise you suppose you’ll seemingly repeat sooner or later (e.g., writing an e-book, providing free trials, or launching a brand new service providing).
This is a tip: As an alternative of making an attempt to recall every little thing you do for your corporation in a single sitting, go about your day as normal for every week and make a remark of every little thing you do. This manner, you are much less prone to neglect one thing essential.
To assist add extra construction to your techniques, take into account categorizing your actions by way of enterprise features:
- Operations: These are actions you try this handle your corporation’s “inside workings.” Examples embrace enterprise aim setting, electronic mail administration, and private web site upkeep.
- Gross sales and advertising: These are actions you do to draw and convert shoppers. Examples embrace content material advertising, automated gross sales funnels, and product launches.
- Finance: All the things to do with cash, together with invoicing shoppers, paying staff, and submitting taxes.
#2: Break Down Every Exercise
After you have a listing of actions (i.e., techniques) your corporation must operate, break down each based on the method, instruments, and other people wanted to finish it from begin to end:
- Course of: The step-by-step sequence of actions
- Instruments: The required units, apps, or software program you employ
- Folks: The particular person (or folks) in control of every step of the method
- Methods: The techniques, suggestions, or methods you employ
#3: Search for Methods to Enhance Your Methods
Earlier than you bounce proper into overhauling each system in your corporation, know this. You solely need to rework a system if—and provided that—it will provide you with a major strategic benefit. In order you are evaluating potential tweaks, ask your self:
- Will it present a direct worth to shoppers?
- Will it make issues simpler and extra environment friendly for me (and my crew)?
- Will it cut back prices?
- Will it improve income and/or revenue margins?
If you happen to aren’t going to hit a type of issues, it is best to most likely go away that system as is and focus your consideration elsewhere.
However as soon as you have recognized a enterprise system that is a very good candidate for an overhaul, probably the most essential issues to do is decide the place you are ranging from (i.e., your baseline) and the place you hope to finish up.
That is the place key efficiency indicators (KPIs)—like income, bills, revenue margins, gross sales conversions, and different monetary ratios—are available in.
Methods to Enhance Your System
Then, with the specified outcomes or outcomes you need, use the next framework to brainstorm methods to enhance your system:
- Delete: What are you able to get rid of from the system as a result of the processes, instruments, folks, or methods are time-consuming, pointless, redundant, not related, or unproductive? For instance, do you actually need to pay for a premium accounting instrument while you solely use its most simple options (which you can simply get from one other free instrument)?
- Defer: Which elements of the system may very well be useful however do not actually have to be a part of the system proper now? For instance, upgrading to a pricier electronic mail advertising software program that enables you entry to options like pre-built automation workflows, cut up testing, efficiency experiences, and SMS push notifications could sound like a good suggestion, however you’re unlikely to see constructive (or dependable) outcomes with a small subscriber depend.
- Automate: What duties are you able to automate utilizing software program, apps, or different instruments? A 2017 McKinsey report on productiveness and automation suggests about 60% of all occupations have not less than 30% of constituent actions that may very well be automated. As an example, among the finest private coaching apps and software program applications might help you handle administrative duties (e.g., consumer reserving), fee processing, and shoppers’ exercise applications—multi function centralized location.
- Delegate: What duties stop you from taking advantage of your time, vitality, expertise, and experience (e.g., chasing shoppers for fee)? What duties do you dislike doing (e.g., individually combing by suggestions kinds)? These are sometimes the duties it is best to delegate or outsource to others (every time attainable).
- Consolidate: Is it attainable to consolidate your duties or batch them in an effort to full them sooner? Combing by generally requested questions in your social media posts might assist provide you with loads of concepts for potential weblog put up subjects, as an example.
#4: Roll Out, Consider, and Refine
You’ve recognized a enterprise system that must be overhauled, outlined your excellent final result, and developed a plan to enhance its processes. Now, it’s time to implement.
And whereas it might be tempting to suppose “mission achieved” and pat your self on the again for a job properly achieved, as soon as a brand new system is in place, it is best to take time to judge it. In case you have a crew, make certain they know your new enterprise course of is not set in stone and also you welcome trustworthy suggestions in regards to the adjustments.
You and your crew (the place relevant) ought to take into consideration the next questions:
- Did the brand new system remedy an issue or attain a aim?
- How a lot enchancment could be attributed to the brand new system?
- If there wasn’t any enchancment, what was the trigger? How are you going to treatment the state of affairs or maybe return to the best way issues have been?
Every time vital, return to the drafting board and proceed to tweak and refine your system.
And that is your first system overhaul. Now, remember to repeat the method with one other system:
- Assessment your listing of potential enterprise techniques.
- Choose one with the utmost potential (e.g., most vital influence in your revenue margins) and create the brand new system.
- Take a look at the system in your corporation—and refine it to work out any bottlenecks, glitches, and hiccups.
- Repeat the method once more.
#5: Retailer Your Enterprise Methods Someplace Protected
At this level, you should have documented not less than a dozen techniques that’ll assist your corporation run like a well-oiled machine.
Think about in case you misplaced them since you wrote them on random sticky notes and scraps of paper. Past losing your time, you can lose useful data since you’ve forgotten your techniques.
To forestall that catastrophe, it is best to doc all techniques—meaning all processes, instruments, folks, and methods—utilizing organized, well-designed instruments.
Examples embrace Evernote, One Notice, Google Drive, Asana, Trello, and Notion.
If you happen to use a couple of platform (e.g., you employ Asana to retailer your course of checklists), be sure you arrange one central reference level with hyperlinks to all different related documentation. Sure: Which means it is best to think about using platforms that work properly collectively.
Constructing the fitting techniques to help your corporation could be extremely useful.
They will let you run your operations easily and effectively, liberating up treasured time you can make investments elsewhere.
Whereas establishing new techniques—and fine-tuning current ones—takes effort and time, it’s all value it when every little thing comes collectively to give you the results you want.