I don’t find out about you, however I’ve an actual habit to the superfood underdog AKA purple cabbage. I’m unsure when the cabbage obsession actually began (possibly it was from this salad) however now I’m mainly satisfied that cabbage must be in EVERYTHING. Together with this epic wholesome coleslaw recipe.
Each purple and inexperienced cabbages assist promote a wholesome intestine (which is what we’re all about today), struggle irritation, enhance your immunity, and comprise loads of vitamins your physique wants. CABBAGE PATCH PARTY.
My favourite factor about cabbage isn’t simply the diet although. It’s the epic CRUNCH it provides salads and slaws. It’s addicting and I can’t cease placing it in recipes.
Is coleslaw wholesome?
Whereas coleslaw is basically simply made up of a bunch of crunchy, colourful greens, conventional coleslaw recipes are often lined in dressings made up of mayo and sugar. On this wholesome, paleo coleslaw recipe we’re skipping the mayo totally and tossing the entire beautiful veggies with a tangy, barely candy dressing made with apple cider vinegar and easy components to maintain the coleslaw vegan and dairy free.
Enjoyable truth: I cherished coleslaw as somewhat woman. I’d ask for giant bowls of it with a lot of black pepper. Dad made a do-it-yourself model with a lot of mayo. This model isn’t Dad’s however IT IS for all you millennials. Heh.
Substances in wholesome coleslaw
This unbelievable wholesome coleslaw recipe makes use of contemporary components to create a crunchy, shiny gut-friendly coleslaw with out mayo or sugar. It isn’t your typical coleslaw. It’s somewhat candy, somewhat spicy, and higher than that soggy white coleslaw they serve at eating places. You’ll want:
- Produce: I like utilizing each purple and inexperienced cabbage for additional crunch and a wide range of flavors. Then we’re additionally including shredded carrots, jalapeño for a kick of warmth, inexperienced onion for somewhat zippiness, and contemporary cilantro.
- Nuts: I like so as to add each pepitas (that are roasted pumpkin seeds) and toasted sliced almonds for a beautiful additional crunch with the entire veggies.
- Olive oil: a little bit of olive oil will assist the “dressing” coat all of these beautiful veggies within the coleslaw.
- Apple cider vinegar: use apple cider vinegar so as to add that tangy scrumptious taste present in coleslaw recipes. It’s additionally nice for intestine well being!
- Pure maple syrup: as a substitute of utilizing granulated sugar like in conventional coleslaw recipes, we’re simply utilizing a little bit of pure maple syrup to flippantly sweeten the coleslaw. Be happy to regulate relying on how candy you prefer it.
- Garlic: somewhat garlicky taste makes this wholesome coleslaw additional scrumptious.
- Cayenne pepper: add a pinch of cayenne for somewhat additional warmth, or be at liberty to omit.
- Salt & pepper: to convey the entire flavors collectively.
The very best wholesome coleslaw in 4 simple steps
- Add the entire coleslaw components to a big bowl apart from the pepitas, almonds and dressing.
- In a smaller bowl, add your dressing components and whisk to mix.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss properly to mix. Style and regulate seasonings if want be. Place the coleslaw within the fridge for no less than 1 hour to let the flavors marinate.
- Earlier than serving, add within the pepitas and toasted almonds and toss to mix.
Retailer this simple, wholesome coleslaw in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. That is a tremendous make-ahead recipe for picnics and BBQs as a result of the flavors deepen because the coleslaw marinates!
Recipes to pair with this wholesome coleslaw
Extra scrumptious aspect dishes
Get all of my aspect dish recipes right here!
Should you make this wholesome coleslaw recipe, you’ll want to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. We’d additionally love should you would go away a remark under and fee the recipe. We recognize you! xo.
Finest Wholesome Coleslaw Ever (no mayo!)
The BEST wholesome coleslaw made with contemporary purple cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and a kick of warmth from jalapeño. There is not any mayo or sugar, only a naturally candy and barely tangy dressing with a touch of pure maple syrup. This easy, wholesome coleslaw recipe is vegan, paleo & dairy free and ideal serving together with your favourite grilling recipes all summer time!
- For the slaw:
medium head of purple cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups shredded cabbage)
medium head of inexperienced cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups shredded cabbage)
heaping cups shredded carrots
finely chopped cilantro
jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
inexperienced onion (inexperienced half solely)
toasted sliced almonds
- For the dressing:
additional virgin olive oil
apple cider vinegar
pure maple syrup, relying how candy you want your slaw
garlic, finely minced
cayenne pepper, optionally available
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Add all of the components for the slaw apart from the almonds and pepitas to a big bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively all of the components for the dressing. Pour all around the slaw and toss properly to mix. Style and regulate seasonings as essential. Cowl and place in fridge for no less than an hour to permit flavors to marinate collectively.
Earlier than serving, sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds and pepitas; toss once more and serve.
Learn how to retailer coleslaw: retailer this coleslaw lined within the fridge for as much as 5 days. That is a tremendous make-ahead recipe for picnics and BBQ’s as a result of the flavors deepen because the coleslaw marinates!
Servings: 8 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially printed on Could 18th, 2020, and republished on Could twenty fifth, 2023.